Duke Philip of Burgundy granted Delft permission to build a watermill at the end of the Geerweg

Date: 
July 13, 1450

Duke Philip of Burgundy granted Delft permission to build a watermill at the end of the Geerweg. Its purpose was to bring water from the gracht to the beer breweries. This mill, at the northeast corner of the city, became known as Duyvelsgat (Devil's Hole).

Document: 

OAD inv. 123, Charter no. 3081

Related sources: