St. Agnieten Toren

This tower was in the City's southern wall, called Bastiaensvest in the document, between the Oostpoort and the Rotterdamse Poort. On the earlier maps, it appears as a bastion that juts into the singel, as did the other towers on the southern and western sections of the singel. By the time Leeuwenhoek rented it, it was enclosed and had a pointed roof, according to the Kaart Figuratief (detail on right).

There are no towers remaining in Delft of this type. There is one, however, in Leiden, the Muurtoren Oostenrijk on the Zoeterwoudsesingel (right sidebar; click to enlarge). It is the last of Leiden's thirty-three wall towers (muurtorens, waltorens or verdedigingstorens - defensive towers). This one has a new roof, but in the old style, and the original brick. The earthen bank would have been topped by wall on both sides of the tower.

The tower was at the end of Durven's garden stretching along the singel. The previous owner,


From the Delft treasurers' accounts:

1658 24v durven has toorn for 1st of 6-year lease x11 gl - only one in this section with a ransoen - section Stede aertvesten mitsgaders de huisen daer op staende - other towers and houses mills, in the city's outer wall and gates - other leases were multi-year, too.

41v durven 24 gl for one year use of the grout van sijn huis

His father Pieter Gerrits rented the St. Agnieten Toorn from the city in successive multi-year leases, 24 gl yearly, from 1658 until his death, when the lease was picked up by Paul. Paul and Leeuwenhoek rented it together beginning in 1693.