Property in Delft owned by members
of Leeuwenhoek's extended family

Oosteinde 252

Margrita de Meij paid the 1632-1654 verponding 227r2. Maria de Meij (1626-1676) bequeathed this property, aka Vooromme, in a will made on 1669 10/08 (notary Paul Durven ONA Delft inv. 2237, fol. ??) to her niece (sister Barbara de Meij's daughter) Maria Thonis Leeuwenhoek (1656-1745). Maria Leeuwenhoek bequeathed it in her will of 1744 05/20 (notary Willem van der Lely ONA Delft inv. 2753, fol. 19) to her maid Josina van der Sprenkel. D0027 to the south was owned by Mathijs van Kempen (407v2/5x057). To the north was the delftware factory the Lampetkan. Owners noted in ORA 281-283 Joost Jansz, kleermaker, his widowAeltge Joosten, daughter of Joost JanszWillem Dircksz van Appelo, married to Aeltge JoostenMaria de MeijMaria LeeuwenhoekJosina van SprenkelPieter van BerkelooChristiaan BijkerkAnna, widow of Christiaan BijkerkAbraham van der CeelGeertruida Viervant, widow of Abraham van Ceel

Oosteinde 56

Antony's boyhood home, bequeathed by grandfather Thonis to uncle Huijch. Fronts on Oosteinde, across the alley from E0056. Referred to as Leeuwenpoort Vooromme. When did grandfather Thonis buy E0056 and E0079?

Oosteinde 58

Thonis Philips Leeuwenhoek, Antony's grandfather, owned three properties near the Oostpoort, E0056, E0073, and E0079. E0056 fronts on Oosteinde right across the alley from E0073 and extends behind the houses, as a garden?, to the back side of the Klaeuwshofje. The alley was replaced by another about 50 feet farther northwest.

Oosterstraat 69

Abraham Maertens Hogenhouck (1580-1641) is on the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 039v1 sale letter 3f004.

Oranje Plantage 79

Thonis Philips Leeuwenhoek (-1643) and his son Huijch Thonis Leeuwenhoek (-1699), both basketmakers, paid the 1632-1654 verponding 271r4, 271v2. Huijch is the owner listed twice in ORA 281-283 housing protocol, marked in the margin with 2 (351r1) and 4 (351r2). E0079 fronts on Oosteinde. The large area now the school and bordering on the Klaeuwshofje (built 1605) may have been a garden. It was across the alley (now gone) from E0056. See 1649 map.

Oude Delft 157 (behind 161)

Jan Pieters Hogenhouck (-1651) got it by decree from Dirck Jacobs van Houten in 1634. He paid the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 264r1d and the 1620-1632 verponding 475r3. Jan Pieters Hogenhouck, Pieter Jans Hogenhouck, and Pieter Molijn, deurwaerder, are all listed as paying the 1632-1654 verponding 485r1, 485r2. Jan Pieters sold it to Pieter Molijn 4d127v for 2650gl. His widow sold it in 1663 to Maerten Abrahams Hogenhouck (1617-1673) 4n239v 2225gl. Hugo d'Gravesande (x Margareta Maertens Hogenhouck) had it later. See Achter de Gevels, which notes (my translation): In 1663 the house was the property of the brewer Maerten Hogenhouck. He paid 6000 guilders for it. He later bought two small houses on the former cloister grounds behind it. In 1673 his daughter Margaretha inherited the house. She was married to Huge 's Gravesande. They did not live there because in 1674 Cornelis Bogaert...

Oude Delft 197

Henricus Swalmius (1578-1649), a pastor and Cornelia's great-uncle, lived here from 1621-1628 before moving to Haarlem; see Achter de Gevels. He is listed on the 1585 - 1648 huizenprotocol, OAD inv. 731 fol. 260r1

Oude Delft 253

Great-uncle Johan (Jan) Sebastians van den Berch (1570-1644) owned it and paid the 1632-1654 verponding 520r1.

Oude Delft 26

Cornelis Maertens Hogenhouck (-1656) paid the 1620-1632 verponding 455r3 and the 1632-1654 verponding 466r2. The entry references E0537 now Koornmarkt 41a - “see folio 935”. The back end of E0541 is close enough to the back end of E0538 now Koornmarkt 41 that the gardens may have been connected in the 1600's. The progression of owners and sales letters was the same for all three properties: Hogenhouck, de Bock/van Leeuwen, Keiser, Overschie.

Oude Delft 47

Abraham Maertens Hogenhouck (1580-1641) paid the 1585-1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 286r2 after 285zv. The house is on the Monumentnummer list.