Property in Delft owned by members
of Leeuwenhoek's extended family

Donkerstraat 51 A

Father-in-law Elias de Meij's widow Maria Verlijn owned it afer his death. ORA 281-283 notes that his came "with two little houses of Jan Kola", which must be D1039 and D1040bis. D1040bis went to Hendrick van Leeuwen 5r272, who sold to Jan Kola 5z282v.

Doorniksteeg

Brother-in-law Jan Jacobs de Molijn (-1691) owned it.

Dr. Schaepmanstraat

Grandfather Thonis Philips Leeuwenhoek (-1643) is the first owner recorded in the notary archives of those properties across the singel -- A0985 - A0991 now on Dr. Schaepmanstraat. The property records ORA 285 note that it is in the Poortland area south of the Duijvelsgath. On the map below, it's the long rectangle in the center with a sloot on all sides. On the left looks like a dike or path. The end closest to the singel has a gate that has a little house attached to it and another little house just to the left of it. Thonis Philips bequeathed these properties to his son and Antony's uncle Huijch Thonis Leeuwenhoek (-1669) in his will of April 2, 1643 (notary: Guilliaume de Graeff) – (alhier vertoont op June 13, 1668)? From the illustrations on the map, this property was a large cabbage garden (Coolthuijn) with a small gate house, perhaps tool shed? This tradition of...

Gasthuislaan 181 - 203; Zuiderstraat 222 - 256; Kruisstraat 77

In a scheiding of 1701 11/06 notary Adriaen Leeuwenhoek, Maerten Huijchs Leeuwenhoek (1631-1694) bequeathed it to daughter Margrieta (1661-1743) and husband Michiel Hassel(t) (Kastel), (1664 - 1704) testament 1702 02/19 notary Adriaen Leeuwenhoeck; O.R.A. 281-283 has it on fol. 036v1, 036v2, 037r1, 037r2, 037v1, which all refer to 111v.

Gasthuislaan 5

Elias de Meij (-1646) paid the 1632-1654 verponding 383v2. These two properties are adjacent and have the same ownership history and sales letters. His purchase is documents in the Delft archives: Losse aanwinsten Delft, Archiefnummer 598, Inventarisnummer 61, Charternummer 6066 On April 1, 1649, Elias de Meij, saaidrapier, bought this property from Adriaen Claesz Meuijt, who received payments for the verponding (housing tax). The previous owner was Jan Borgersz, a shoemaker. At the time, the city Weeshuis (orphanage) bordered this property on the west. Because Elias seems to have died in 1646, perhaps his widow or his estate bought it?

Hippolytusbuurt 1

When Leeuwenhoek moved into the house next door in 1655, this house on the corner was owned by Cornelis Arents s'Gravesande, who was the uncle of Dr. Cornelis Isaacs s'Gravesande, the City's anatomist after 1661 and an important influence on Leeuwenhoek. At the time, Cornelia, probably Cornelis Arents' granddaughter, was living there with her husband Jochum Brugman. After them, sometime in the 1690's, the house was bought by the printer Hendrick Cronevelt, who printed some of Leeuwenhoek's later volumes.

Hippolytusbuurt 3

Het Gulden Hoofd C0154 was Antony's home, named Het Gulden Hoofd (golden head). By 1823, later owner Jacob Frederik Busch bought it (20-07-1820) to add to the property that he already owned on the corner, D0153 (Hippolytusbuurt 1, see below). As a result, in the Kadaster records of 1832, D1054 doesn't have a full record, only the 1585 - 1648 huizenprotocol OAD inv. 731 fol. 309r2. For more, see the articles Where Leeuwenhoek's biographers say he lived and What happened to his house?

Huyterstraat

Maerten Abrahams Hogenhouck (1617-1673) gave it to his son Abraham Maertens (1649-1708) 1675 04/11.

Kerkstraat 3

Maerten Huijchs Leeuwenhoek (1631-1694) paid the 1632-1654 verponding 172r4. He sold it to Wouter Vosmaer. Maerten's wife's name was Jennitgen (Johanna) Arents Vosmaer; her father was Arent Wouters Vosmaer, so this Wouter may have been her brother (1630-1662).

Koornmarkt 105

Adriaen Lambrechts Leeuwenhoek (1662-1739) bought this house, Het Witte Huijs, on 28 juni 1694, for 3,400 gl. Later, his son owned adjacent property on Peperstraat.

Pages